In celebration of our 180th anniversary this year, Andrew Beattie, Teacher of Geography and School Archivist, takes us on a journey back in time with a history of Eltham College from our founding in 1842 to present day.
This booklet was compiled using the school’s two published histories – Eltham College: Past and Present, published in 1992 and comprising the two volumes The Glory of the Sons (1952; edited by Clifford Witting) and Brighter the Torch (1992; edited by Christopher Porteous); and Our Century: Eltham College in Mottingham 1912-2012, written and compiled by Mark Stickings (2012). Both volumes are available from the school – please contact the archivist on email@example.com for further details.
An extract from the book reads: “On 31st January 1912, a dedication service for the school’s new home was held in Central Hall, with the “inspiring singing rising to the dome”… a formal opening ceremony was later held in King George’s Hall on 4th March. One of the pupils present at both would have been Eric Liddell, the future Olympic sprinter and the school’s most famous old boy.”
Mr Beattie would like to thank former members of staff Mark Stickings and Elaine Galloway for their suggestions and comments on earlier drafts of this document.
You can read the book in full here: Celebrating 180 Years Of Our School (1842 2022) September 2022