To ensure breadth and depth of understanding in Mathematics, teaching in the department is supported by a detailed programme of study linked to comprehensive textbook schemes at all levels.
For the first term of Year 7 students will be taught within tutor groups. During this term, in addition to ensuring a sound basis of mathematical understanding, students will be assessed in order to identify the most appropriate set for them to be placed in. From January, Year 7 will be split into upper and lower band sets within each half of the cohort.
Years 8 and 9
Students in Years 8 and 9 are taught in sets, determined by their performance in regular internal assessments.
Years 10 and 11
We follow the Edexcel Mathematics 9 – 1 IGCSE course in Years 10 and 11. We continue to teach our students in sets.
The most able students in Year 10 follow an accelerated course, taking the Edexcel IGCSE examination at the end of Year 11 alongside OCR Additional Mathematics. This is to offer them a greater degree of stimulation, an introduction to important applications of Mathematics, and an introduction to A level study.
Trips, activities and clubs
- In addition to our teaching, there are a range of opportunities to support the development of mathematical knowledge including:
- Junior Maths Club – Maths Masters – This weekly club is for students in Year 7 and 8 who are interested in exploring interesting and challenging mathematical activities and problems. There are opportunities to engage in mathematical games, trails, and use of ICT to extend an interest in mathematics.
- Middle School Maths Society (MS)² – This weekly club is for students in Years 9, 10, and 11 who are ready for the challenge of Mathematical Olympiad style questions and who enjoy taking part in the UKMT Maths Challenges.
- Maths Clinic – provides the opportunity for all students to seek individual help and support with the development of mathematical understanding. Students may choose to attend on a regular or occasional basis, or their attendance may be recommended by their mathematics teacher. Whilst the Maths Clinic will be supervised by members of the department, it will be led by members of Sixth Form Mathematics groups as part of their contribution to community service.
- UKMT Mathematics Challenges – we enter every student in Year 7 and 8, the top sets in Year 9 to 11, and Sixth Form mathematicians into these national competitions.
- UKMT Maths Team Challenges – selected students in the Sixth Form will take part in the Senior Team challenge, whilst a team comprising of students in Year 8 and 9 will participate in the Junior Team Challenge.
- Hans Woyda Competition – the team for this competition comprises just four mathematicians, chosen from the best in the school – one each from Year 9, 11 and the Lower and Upper Sixths.
- Mr T Brook BSc (Head of Mathematics)
- Mr J Baldwin BSc (Master in charge of Cricket, Head of Livingstone and Assistant Head of Maths – Middle School)
- Mrs R Bevington
- Mrs N Bilsby BSc MA (Head of Wellbeing)
- Mr V Broncz BSc
- Dr Cianciaruso PHD
- Mr J Crowley BEng
- Ms R Gordon BSc (Assistant Head – Teaching and Learning)
- Mr G Hammond MEng PGCE
- Mr A Hon MA(Cantab) (Deputy Head of Sixth Form)
- Miss A Tsyba
- Mr L Watts BSc (Assistant Head – Head of Middle School)
- Mrs S Wood BSc (part-time)