Germany possesses the largest economy in the European Union and the third largest in the world. Germany remains at the heart of global politics. Knowledge of German gives students a competitive advantage and will help them understand both the language and culture of our German neighbours.
Beyond the obvious advantages of being able to trade in the mother tongue of one of our closest economic partners and communicating with the 100 million plus German speakers worldwide, German is an extremely useful language to learn because its similarities to English make it surprisingly straightforward.
Every student at Eltham College will have the opportunity to learn German from Year 7, with the possibility of continuing to GCSE and beyond. On average, more than a third of the year group opt for German as their GCSE language.
- In Years 10-11 and Sixth Form there is a cultural trip to Berlin or Vienna where the students can engage with the German-speaking world outside of Germany and experience the culture and history-rich capital of Austria.
- The department is exceptionally well-resourced, with a library of some 50 modern German films and student access to the full range of Pearson online support materials.
- Ms C Franz MA (Head of German)
- Mr F Meier MA (Assistant Head – Head of Lower School)
- Mrs Hazeldine (Language Assistant)